Interviews are an important step to gain employment. Apart from answering the questions asked during interviews and the discussions few other components play a vital role in creating an impression. Your etiquettes and communication skills help you gain edge over your competitors.
Dress – Your first impression during interview is very important, and it depends on your dressing. Your dressing reflects your attitude, seriousness towards winning the job and presentation.
Dressing Tips for Men –
- A single- breasted suit is appropriate for most professional interviews.
- White or light color shirts are a best choice, preferably a cotton one. The shirt should always be full sleeves.
- Ties – A non-flashy tie with a sober patterns or design is recommended. It should match well with the shirt, should be grease free and preferably of silk or similar material.
- Clean, polished dark colored shoes with dark socks.
- Minimal cologne, a strict no to a strong perfume/deodorant.
- Well groomed hairstyle and properly trimmed/shaved beard and moustache.
- Avoid accessories like earring, tacky rings or other fashion stuffs.
Dressing for Women –
- A black pant with a light color formal shirt is a best way to dress for interview.
- However, Indian formals like a non-fancy salwar kameez or an elegant saree also gives a formal look.
- Comfortable non-flashy shoes with conservative heels.
- No bright multicolored purses. Carry a formal single colored office purse or a briefcase.
- Clean, manicured nails with conservative colors.
- Makeup should be minimal and perfume/deodorant with a pleasant fragrance.
- Simple accessories.
- Professional hairstyle, with no frails or hair troubling you.
Few other useful tips –
- Body language speaks volumes, so pay special attention to it during interview. Do not fold your hands, or lean back. Maintain good eye contact and lean a little forward while putting forth a point. Do not fumble or play with your finger, it reflects nervousness.
- Realize the power of smile – A smile reflects confident, pleasant nature.
- Greeting people reveals your attitude and nature. Remember to have a confident handshake. Never shake with your left hand in trouser and always stand for a handshake. While shaking hand carry a smile on face, establish eye contact and mention your name or greetings.
- Also, while leaving the room take care to thank everybody by making an eye contact and shaking hands.